Books I Read in 2017

This year of reading was especially exciting because I hit my goal of reading 52 books! I read a lot of great books, many pretty good books, some just okay books and a couple of duds.  I usually have one book I read that stands out as the best of the year, but this year I didn't read anything that was so amazing that I had to share with the world. But I did read 14 books that I really enjoyed!
I am going to do my usual Goodreads star ratings of books. 5 being the best, 1 being the worst. 

5 Stars 

On Turpentine Lane by Elinor Lipman
Beartown by Fredrik Backman
Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery 
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich
Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan 
The Polygamist's Daughter by Anna LeBaron*
The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner*
*These books were written by cousins. They didn't know each other until their books were published! They write about the same family, but from different perspectives. 
Commonwealth by Ann Patchett 
We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey 
Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown
Just Breath by Leanne Waterworth (I went to college with Leanne!!)

4 Stars

The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker
Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? Alyssa Mastromonaco 
You Can't Touch my Hair by Phoebe Robinson 
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian 
How to Be Here by Rob Bell
The Stolen Marriage by Diane Chamberlain
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline
Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo
The Windfall by Diksha Basu
The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis 
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
My Not so Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella 
The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell
Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout 
The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking 
A Glorious Freedom: Older Women Leading Extraordinary Lives by Lisa Congdon 
The Rules Do Not Apply by Ariel Levy
Still Christian by David P. Gushee
All the Real Indians Died off: And 20 Other Myths About Native Americans
by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz

3 Stars (this is a bit controversial because I have some books on this list that people raved about and loved, but I thought they were, Meh. Sorry, not sorry)

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance 
The Leavers by Lisa Ko
The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck 
Into the Water by Paula Hawkins
My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry
The Couple Next Door by Shari Lepena 
The Mothers by Brit Bennett 
The Forever Summer by Jamie Brenner
Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay 
Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

2 Stars

The Marvelous Misadventures of Ingrid Winter by J.S. Drangsholt
Rich and Pretty by Rumaan Alam

1 Star

The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo 


Happy Reading in 2018! 









Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for publishing this great post.
I'm a long time reader however I've never been compelled to leave a comment.
I've bookmarked your site and shared this on my Facebook.
Many thanks again for a great post!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Clothespin Wreath

Shabby Apple Dress Giveaway

TWD - Cranberry Upside-Downer